|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Blue Lion public house|
A late 17th century brick public house with an 18th century rear wing and 20th century alterations.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8646 0689|
|Parish:||NORTH PICKENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Public house. Late 17th century with 18th century rear wing and 20th century alterations. Brick, rendered or painted, with pantile roof and brick end stacks. T-plan. 2 storeys and attics; 2-window range of 20th century windows in original openings. 2 small dormers. Central 20th century porch and door. Single storey wing in brick and flint with a pantile roof and 2 stacks extends to right. INTERIOR. Ground floor opened out but retains spine beams, 2 boxed, the other with deep chamfer and curved stop. First floor retains chamfered spine beams, fireplace hood, plank doors. Attic has roof partly visible, ceiled at collar level. Principals with windbraces to purlins and coupled rafters.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 20 June 2006.
9 March 1994. End-stack house of two storeys and attic.
Rendered above brick plinth; said by landlord to be clay lump. Rear full-height extension makes T-plan but this is clearly an addition. Ground floor bar has end fireplaces rebuilt with reused brickwork, but one retains a bressumer with poker burns. One beam has run-out stops at one end; all else concealed or imitation, except for roof which has a remarkably good set of Y-windbracing. This could be 17th century, otherwise everything visible is 18th century, and if the walls really are clay lump they should be after 1780. (S2) refers to Thomas Gill shopkeeper and victualler at the Blue Lion but building not named on (S3) or (S4). The first floor chamfered spine beams, firehood and plank doors mentioned in (S1) were not visible at time of inspection.
E. Rose (NLA), 5 February 2007.
- PUBLIC HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1650 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Directory: White, W.. 1845. White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk. |
|<S3>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S4>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1836. 1st edition OS. |
Related records - none
Find out more...