Record Details

NHER Number:44664
Type of record:Building
Name:Stables 120m west of Middleton Tower

Summary

A range of stables built in about 1870 in carstone with brick dressings. The stables have Gothick windows, and loose boxes with a zig-zag brick floor and hexagonal white tiles on the walls. The building was badly damaged by fire in 2013.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 66740 17565
Map Sheet:TF61NE
Parish:MIDDLETON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

June 1988. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Stables, about 1870 carstone with gault brick dressings. Plain tiles to roof with decorative ridge. Range of two heights with cross wing to south. West façade to yard: 3 bays 2 storeys to left with gault sawtooth cornice, central doorway with pointed segmental head, to left and right a double light with glazing bars. Loft door with balcony over doorway with gable above having brick tumbling-in. First floor of third bay with double casement with glazing bars. Bays 4 and 5 to left higher with gable to cross wing bay 5; cross stack between bays 4 and 5. Bay 4 with large arch- way to inner passage, bay 6 with larger arch and coach-house doors; double casement with glazing bars to first floor bay 4; gable to bay 5 with brick tumbling in and Gothick Y-tracery light. North arch with brick tumbling in; 3-light casements to ground and first floor. Rear to east: bay 1 slightly forward and gabled. Bays 3-5 each with pair of stone dressed Gothick openings with leaded lights to ground floor, gablet dormer for ventilation to each bay of attic. Interior bays 1-3 with zig-zag gault brick floor, hexagonal white glazed tiles to walls, stable loose boxes with cast iron bars and posts to partitioning.
Information from (S1).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 24 May 2006.

February/March 2013. Building Survey.
Survey of structure following fire damage.
At around 9pm on 18 February 2013 a fire broke out in the central bay in the former coachman's house. The fire spread to the first floor and roof of the south cross wing, the former coach house (garage). Within the central bay the fire destroyed internal joinery, wall timbers and roof trusses; only the principal members remained and these were badly charred. The fire spread into the rooms above the coach house, destroying the floor frame and severely charring the roof of the south wing. The external walls of carstone survive in relatively sound condition, as does the central internal dividing brick wall and chimneystack. The stables to the north were not affected.
See report (S2) for further details.
A. Cattermole (HES), 1 December 2014.

April 2013. Heritage Statement
Further to the above, a heritage statement was produced to assess significance and consider the impact of the proposed repair scheme. The arrangement of stable, groom or coachman's accommodation and coach house within a stable yard, all relatively unaltered was noted as increasing rare. The buildings also have a distinctive style with Gothick detailing and are constructed of carstone, brick and limestone. The proposals to reinstate the buildings following the fire damage with minor alterations were considered to cause no harm to the significance of the building.
See (S3) for further details.
A. Yardy (HES), 24 June 2015.

Monument Types

  • STABLE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1870 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1342407.
<S2>Unpublished Contractor Report: Selby, J. 2013. Principles of Repair: Report Following Fire Damage, The Stables, Middleton Tower, Tower End, Middleton. John Selby.
<S3>Unpublished Contractor Report: Selby, J. 2013. Heritage Statement: The Stables, Middleton Tower, Tower End, Middleton. John Selby.

Related records

3393Part of: Middleton Towers (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service