Record Details

NHER Number:4996
Type of record:Monument
Name:Stump Cross, Mount Ephraim

Summary

This stone cross, referred to as Stump Cross, stands in a clearing in Mount Ephraim Plantation around 70m southeast of Pilgrims Path. The cross is made of Barnack stone and has a shaft supported on a socket stone. The socket stone is 0.4m above the ground and 0.73 in section at the base. The shaft is square in cross-section, with roll moulding at the angles and is about 1.8m tall above the socket stone. The head of the cross is missing. The cross has been identified as that described by Tom Martin in 1720 as standing in two parts on either side of a road on a hill between Broomhill and Methwold, and according to Blomefield it stood beside the Walsingham Way (Pilgrim's Walk).

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 7735 9137
Map Sheet:TL79SE
Parish:WEETING WITH BROOMHILL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Remains of wayside cross of Barnack stone in plantation on Mount Ephraim by Pilgrims Path.
Repaired by Ministry of Works 1935 and re-erected.
See (S1).
R. R. Clarke (NCM).

(Formerly in two pieces, known as Broken Cross).
E. Rose (NAU).

Clarke's date of 1935 for the re-erection may be questioned as the schedule notes it was still in two pieces in 1939, but repaired in 1958. However schedule was retyped 1958 and so an error may have been made here.

1994.
Excellent condition, one of the best preserved crosses in the county.
Visited by E. Rose (NLA), 28 March 1994.

See description, location and schedule in file.

1997.
No change.
See slide in photograph archive.
Visited by D.Gurney (NLA), 8 December 1997.

2002.
Scheduled Ancient Monument Management Plan, March 2002-March 2007.
Copy in file.
D. Gurney (NLA), 24 April 2002.

Monument Types

  • CROSS (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD? to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument

Sources and further reading

---Unpublished Document: English Heritage. 2002. English Heritage Management Agreement.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Weeting.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
<S1>Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. pp 329-330.
<S2>Publication: Knocker, G.. 1958. AM7.
<S3>Scheduling Record: Corbishley, M.. 1983. AM107.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service