|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||West Newton Flax factory|
A flax factory established in 1935 for crops grown on the royal estates. It was visited by King George V and Queen Mary in 1935, and by Edward VIII on his only visit to Sandringham. The factory was taken over by the government in 1939 and used for wartime supplies as one of twelve British mills. It was closed 1958.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 69335 25702|
|Parish:||SANDRINGHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|WEST NEWTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Flax factory established 1935 for crops grown on the royal estates. Visited by King George V and Queen Mary 1935, and by Edward VIII on his only visit to Sandringham. Taken over by the government in 1939 and used for wartime supplies as one of twelve British mills. Closed 1958.
Information from (S1).
Detailed records with Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society.
E. Rose (NLA), 11 April 2006.
- FLAX MILL (Mid 20th Century to 21st Century - 1935 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1999. Sandringham's pioneering war secret. 14 September. |
Related records - none
Find out more...