Record Details

NHER Number:44392
Type of record:Building
Name:Barclays Bank and three tenements to north

Summary

A 16th or 17th century timber framed range of houses with later alterations. The houses were encased in red brick in the 19th century. The house has mullioned and transomed windows and a door with brick pilasters and a moulded brick pediment.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 19762 92783
Map Sheet:TM19SE
Parish:LONG STRATTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

February 1976. Listed, Grade II.
16th or 17th century, timber-framed with alterations. Two storeys. The south end, Barclays Bank and two south cottages were encased in early 19th century, first floor roughcast with three sashes with glazing bars, ground floor red brick, two sashes with glazing bars, one with margin lights, two panelled doors and modern back entrance, pantile roof. The northernmost house, entirely encased in late 19th century, red brick ground floor, tile-hung above gabled slight projection on left, two and three-light mullion/transom casements, ground floor square bay, on left a brick pilastered doorway with moulded brick pediment, chimney with grouped octagonal shafts, tiled roof. Continuous gable ended roof.
Interior: running through length of building in ground floor rooms is heavily moulded ceiling beam.
Information from (S1).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 13 April 2006.

Monument Types

  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (15th Century to 21st Century - 1500 AD to 2100 AD)
  • BANK (FINANCIAL) (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 530.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1304086.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service