Record Details

NHER Number:44307
Type of record:Building
Name:Rowan's Cottage, Hollow Lane

Summary

A 17th or early 18th century brick and flint cottage with diapered brickwork and dormer windows.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0103 4119
Map Sheet:TG04SW
Parish:LANGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

May 1983. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Cottage, 17th century or early 18th century. Flint, red brick dress, red pantiled cottage of 1 1/2 storeys. Ground floor, one 2-light and one 4-light casements, leaded panes, 20th century, brick dress, 2-light under cambered arch, 4-light with brick drip mould. Red brick diapers, Brick end quoins with brick dentil cornice, brick coped parapets and 2 end stacks (rebuilt). Three 20th century dormers, 2-light leaded pane casements. North end gable, diaper pattern in brick, small brick attic window.
Information from (S1).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 11 April 2006.

July 2008. Building recording.
The north end of the cottage appears to be the earliest part of the building. The decorative flint work and chamfered principle joists are typical of the early seventeeth century. It is likely that the cottage was subdivided in the late eighteenth or early nineteenth century.
See (S2) for further details,
H. White, (NLA), 26 November 2009

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 584.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049494.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Brown, M. and Brown, S.. 2008. NHBG report. Building survey of Rowan Cottage, Hollow Lane, Langham..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service