Record Details

NHER Number:44224
Type of record:Building
Name:1, 2 and 3 Thornage Road, Glandford

Summary

A group of estate cottages, dated 1870. They are built of flint with brick dressings and have roofs of glazed pantiles. The central doorway has a porch which is decorated with a terracotta crest of the Cozens-Hardy family.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 05921 38386
Map Sheet:TG03NE
Parish:LETHERINGSETT WITH GLANDFORD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Group of estate cottages, dated 1870. Flint with brick dressings, black glazed pantiles. Four bays plus set back bay either end with door. Gable parapets, axial stacks between bays 2 and 3, 3 and 4, in brick with oversailing cap and a thin cross in flint flushwork to each face. Platband of gault brick with dogtooth decoration, cornice of dogtooth and moulded gault brick. Vertical brick columns between bays 2 and 3, and 4 and 5, hood moulds. Chamfered surrounds in red brick to doors and windows. Casement windows with cast iron glazing bars having gothic heads of three lights to bays one and four of ground floor, of two-lights to bays two and three of ground floor and to first floor. Central doorway with gabled flint porch having slate roof, four-centred chamfered brick arch with hood mould, flushwork gable with stone dated 1870. Above porch in terracotta the Cozens-Hardy double crest (armed fist grasping an eagle and a lion rampant fretty, motto 'Fear One') with square surround in chamfered brick, and hood mould. Central door with glazed lancet panel.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 4 April 2006.

Monument Types

  • ESTATE COTTAGE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1870 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service