|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Cropmarks of medieval to post medieval enclosures and an undated, possibly Roman, field system|
Cropmarks of rectilinear enclosures of medieval to post medieval date and an undated, possibly Roman, field system are visible on aerial photographs. A group of rectilinear enclosures are present imediately to the southeast of Glover's Farm at Sedgeford. It is likely that they are small fields associated with the farm and are of medieval to post medieval date. These enclosures overlay a rectilinear field system on a different alignment The field system is on an unknown, but possibly Roman, date.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 72167 35583|
|Parish:||SEDGEFORD, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
March 2006. Norfolk NMP.
Cropmarks of rectilinear enclosures of medieval to post medieval date and an undated field system are visible on aerial photographs (S1-S2). These cropmarks are centred on TF 7218 3559 and were previously recorded as part of NHER 36145. A group of rectilinear enclosures are present on west to east and north to south alignments. A total of eight enclosures are present in this group, although not all are completely visible as cropmarks. A rectangular enclosure in the west of the group measures 108m by 84m internally. It is defined by earthwork banks on its northern and eastern sides (S2). The boundary along its eastern side, which still exists, is also marked on an estate map of Sedgeford that dates to 1630 (S3). In the centre of the group are two rectangular enclosures that measure 90m by 45m and 48m by 55m in size. Four small enclosures are present in the northern part of the group adjacent to the road. The have dimensions of between 43m by 18m and 40m by 30m. Parts of some of these enclosures are also shown on the 1631 estate map. It is likely that these enclosures are fields of medieval to post medieval date and that they are related to a predecessor of Glover’s Farm which lies immediately to their northwest.
Underlying the enclosures are ditches of a rectilinear field system that lie on a northwest to southeast and southwest to northeast alignment. At least ten incomplete fields are visible. These vary in size from at least 26m by 14m to 70m square. The alignment of this field system does not correspond to that shown on the 1631 estate map and is of an earlier, possibly Roman, date.
J. Albone (NMP), 15 March 2006.
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- FIELD (Unknown date)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Unknown date)
- FIELD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- DITCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. NHER TF 7235A-B (NLA 374/JAW5-6) 19-JUL-1996. |
|<S2>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1945. RAF 106G/UK/368 3010-1 08-JUN-1945 (NMR). |
|<S3>||Map: 1631. Estate map of Sedgeford. |
Related records - none
Find out more...