Record Details

NHER Number:4833
Type of record:Building
Name:St Michael's Church, Didlington


A medieval church with later alterations, heavily restored between 1855 and 1873 by the Amherst family of Didlington Hall (NHER 4821). Most of the building is originally 14th century; it consists of a west tower, aisled nave and chancel. The tower has bell holes and is topped by two gargoyles and crenellations. Interior features include a 14th century piscina, 19th century marble communion rails and a 14th century Purbeck marble font.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 7789 9694
Map Sheet:TL79NE

Full description

Parish church.Medieval and later. Flint with ashlar and some brick dressings.Felt and slate roofs. West tower, aisled nave and chancel. 14th century west tower with diagonal buttresses and a rectangular stair turret to the south east Two light west window with restored ogee tracery. Two rectangular loops to first floor, and four two light bell openings with ogee tracery. Crenellated parapet with two gargoyles. Nave and chancel with modern re facing. North aisle with three two light ogee traceried north windows, a modern plain chamfered doorway and 15th century panel traceried east and west windows with flat heads. South aisle with four heavily restored two light panel traceried windows with flat heads. Similar three light east window. 14th century wave moulded doorway. Six two light late medieval clerestory windows. Chancel with three restored hollow chamfered lancet windows to south; the westernmost retaining a square 'leper's window'. North wall with one hollow chamfered lancet and a two light window consisting of a pair of lancets and a traceried quatrefoil above. Modern three light east window with three quatrefoils. 14th century niche to north side of east wall with cusped ogee arch and fleuron to hood mould.
Interior. Four bay nave of octagonal piers supporting plain chamfered arches of two orders. The arcades differ: the southern having piers with alternating wide and narrow facets as opposed to the northern which has piers of regular section yet with filleted trilobe responds. Plain chamfered tower arch on polygonal responds. Plain chamfered chancel arch. Restored moulded late medieval roof of a shallow pitch created by cambered beams. Arch braces supported on carved corbels. Wall plates removed. Piscina in south aisle with cusped arch. Fine early 14th century piscina in chancel with three point traceried cusping on a pair of engaged colonnettes with bell capitals. Baroque ballustrade communion rails in marble. 14th century octagonal font with Purbeck marble bowl. Shallow arcading on bowl, stem with blind tracery. Group of seven 18th century Frost family carved limestone headstones immedeiately south of the church.
Information from (S1).
P. Aldridge (NLA) 20 October 2005.

'Stone cross' in churchyard; base only (S2).
E. Rose (NAU).

One bell to Whissonsett 1981, had rood screen in 1819.
E. Rose (NAU).

(S3) in file.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TL7796 A-H,R-T.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TL 7796U - Z.
---Leaflet: A guide to the churches and villages of the Hilborough group of parishes, Norfolk..
---Newspaper Article: Didlington church..
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S2>Article in serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986. Didlington church - picture.. 28 August.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service