Record Details

NHER Number:42796
Type of record:Building
Name:Fountain in the grounds of Letheringsett Hall

Summary

A fountain that was built around 1790. It is made of stone, features three intertwined dolphins and stands within a circular pond.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 06344 38975
Map Sheet:TG03NE
Parish:LETHERINGSETT WITH GLANDFORD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Fountain of about 1790, stone, three dolphins with heads to base having intertwined tails supporting large fluted shell. Base on circular platform of large flint nodules within circular pond (S1).
In good condition (but not working) in December 2005. The dolphins are heraldic dolphin-fish (Coryphaenids) rather than mammalian. Landowners note that the header tank is still extant and may be that marked on (S2) as adjacent to the orangery to north. Reason for date of 1790 on (S1) is not known.
E. Rose (NLA), 21 December 2005.

For further details of water system see (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 13 March 2006.

Monument Types

  • FOUNTAIN (Post Medieval to Modern - 1790 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1985. Cool beauty in the garden. 12 February.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986. Spotlight on elegant estate. 29 March.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Scheduling Record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S2>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-7. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 2nd edition (revised 1902-7).
<S3>Unpublished Document: Creasey, A.J.. 2006. Condition Survey of the Fountain and Water Supply Systems, including Proposals for Conservation: The Top Lawn Garden, Letheringsett Hall, Letheringsett, Holt, Norfolk.

Related records

44219Part of: Letheringsett Park (Monument)
17205Related to: The Orangery, Letheringsett Park (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service