|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Summer house in Letheringsett Park|
A mid 19th century summer or root house. It is a small rectangular building with wall of split oak logs and a thatched roof. One window formerly contained 15th century stained glass; in 1958 the glass was removed to St Andrew's Church, Letheringsett (NHER 6481), having probably originally come from there. The inside is lined with reeds, fir cones and hazel and willow battens.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 06340 38941|
|Parish:||LETHERINGSETT WITH GLANDFORD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
September 1987. Listed, Grade II.
Listed as Rustic Summerhouse but typologically this is a root house.
(formerly included under NHER 6521).
Formed of burr oak mostly still barked and waney, with reed thatched roof. Rectangular single cell with open front on rustic piers. Walls of half oak logs. East gable with geometric arrangement of stripped sticks and Y-tracery window of curved oak branches (from where 15th century stained glass was removed to Letheringsett church (NHER 6481) in 1958 having probably come from there). Interior is lined with reeds battened with hazel and willow and many fircones. Frieze of splitwillow; continuous bench; oak block floor.
Information from (S1).
Seen in distance December 2005. Recently completely restored – dozens of surplus fir cones and animal skulls found in orangery.
E. Rose (NLA), 21 December 2005.
Mid 19th century.
For further information see listed description.
D. Robertson (NLA), 5 April 2006.
- ROOT HOUSE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1850 AD to 2100 AD)
- SUMMERHOUSE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1850 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1152241. |
|44219||Part of: Letheringsett Park (Monument)|
Find out more...