|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval drainage pump|
This is the location of the remains of a disused drainage pump. It was set up here in 1849 by Hardings of King's Lynn and was replaced by a diesel engine in 1942 after falling derelict. It was partly demolished in 1990 to allow a new building to be erected.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 7015 9791|
|Parish:||NORTHWOLD, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
This is the location of the remains of a disused drainage pump.
E. Rose (NAU/NLA).
Windpump formerly here. In 1849 a beam engine was erected by Hardings of Lynn. Decorative A-frame engine with elbow instead of stop valve driving a scoop wheel of which the gear segments were cast with the rim. Derelict in 1937, scrapped 1942 and replaced by an Allen diesel. Part demolished 1990 so that a new steel building stands inside the ruins of the old. The 1849 plaque is in store.
E. Rose (NLA) 22 October 2004.
- PUMPING STATION (19th Century to Late 20th Century - 1849 AD to 1990 AD)
- WIND PUMP (19th Century to Late 20th Century - 1849 AD to 1990 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Hinde, K.. 2004. Pumping Stations in the Norfolk Fens Part 3, East of Ouse.. NIAS Journal. vol 7, pt 4, pp 100-101.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...