|Type of record:||Building|
16th century in origin, the northern block of this farmhouse is built on the site of part of St Olave's Priory (NHER10715), and has many reused medieval bricks. The southern block is early 19th century, and abuts two surviving rooms of an earlier house built by Sir Henry Jerningham, who purchased the Priory following the Dissolution of the monasteries.The building has been greatly altered over the years, particularly in the 20th century.
Images - none
Farmhouse. Two builds. Southern brick and tile block of early 19th century, altered in the late 20th century. Northern brick and flint block of post Reformation origins on earlier monastic site reusing material from St. Olave's Priory. Greatly altered 1986. Thatched roof. 16th century block of two storeys. East side entered through arched moulded brick doorway with hood mould, set to left. Similar blocked doorway once existed to right. 20th century door in doorway. Central three light casement of 1986. Two similar two light casements to first floor. Gabled roof. 20th century one storey gabled brick extension to north. West side faced with brick. Ground floor French windows to right and two two light first floor windows, all of 1986. Many bricks are reused medieval material. Two bridging beams survive in interior, otherwise entirely 20th century. 19th century block of two storeys. Gabled roof with central ridge stack. 20th century casements and doorways at predictable intervals. This block abuts the two surviving rooms of Jerningham's house north of St. Olaves Priory refectory. Sir Henry Jerningham purchased the priory at the Dissolution.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 16 January 2006.
- FARMHOUSE (15th Century to 16th Century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1800 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources - none
Related records - none
Find out more...