|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Barn east of Priory Farmhouse (NHER 42877)|
A 16th century barn, now a restaurant. Its origins lie with a Post Reformation house built by Sir Henry Jerningham, who purchased St Olave's Priory (NHER 10715) following the Dissolution of the monasteries, and the south wall of the barn may form part of the east end of his house. The barn contains brick reused from the Priory, but is otherwise of flint and stone.There have been many alterations and extensions over the years, and a number of blocked openings are evident.
Images - none
Barn, now restaurant. Post Reformation origins associated with Jerningham's house, the south wall possibly forming part of the east end of the house. Altered and converted 1985 to 86. 16tjh century brick, reused from St. Olave's Priory, flint and some ashlar. Rectangular with later extensions to south and east. Gabled roof, hipped to north. West side has one pedestrian door under segmental arch and one window above. Many blocked openings. Two 20th century glazed doors to north return below 20th century window. East side has central glazed entrance rising to eaves. Many blocked openings. Two single storey gabled extensions run east from this front. South side obscured by further extensions. Interior. Floored at north end. Roof of tie beams and principals dating from the 19th century. Sir Henry Jerningham purchased the priory at the Dissolution. Information from (S1).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 16 January 2006.
- BARN (15th Century to 21st Century - 1500 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
Related records - none
Find out more...