|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Post medieval sea defence bank|
The earthwork remnants of a post medieval sea defence bank are visible on aerial photographs from 1969.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 07529 44169|
|Parish:||SALTHOUSE, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
October 2002. Norfolk NMP.
The fragmentary remains visible of earthwork banks and ditches are visible on Hunting Survey photographs from 1969 (S1). The earthworks run from TG 0778 4434 to TG 0743 4400 and appears to be up to 15m wide. The southern and western sections are better preserved and outer flanking ditches or drains can be seen to either side.
The banks are depicted on a copy of a map of 1648 (1648-9) (S2), which show the ‘Salthouse and Kellinge Marishes in the County of Norff. As they were imbanked and Divided into Common and Severall inclosures AD 1648/1649...'. It is marked as the old bank or ‘The Ould Banke’ and described as ‘Van Hasedunk’s Bank 1637’. The bank appears to continue to the east from theLittle Eye rund to the Big Eye, although later and military activity has destroyed all clear traces of this.
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SEA DEFENCES (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: HSL. 1969. HSL UK/69/949 0100-1 20-NOV-1969 (Norfolk SMR TG 0644B, TG 0744A). |
|<S2>||Map: 1648. Cley-Weybourne Marshes. 736 x 8. |
Related records - none
Find out more...