|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Old School House, 33 Church Street|
A late 17th century former free school with later alterations. The school closed in around 1870 and was converted into a house.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2708 1978|
|Parish:||COLTISHALL, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
May 1961. Listed, Grade II.
Former Free School and master's house, c.1720, of red brick and 'French' pantiles. Two storeys and attics with single storey outshut at rear. Facade of five bays, with central raised and fielded 6 panel door with fanlight. 19th century sash windows in original openings with gauged brick arches to ground floor. Rendered plinth, brick platband at first floor level. Moulded timber-eaves. Parapet gables with moulded brick kneelers and brick tumbling in. Gable stacks. Three dormers with two-light casement windows with wrought iron lights. The outer dormers have pedimented gables, the central dormer has a semi- circular head. All have moulded timber verges.
Interior mainly of c.1875. Most doors early 18th century raised and fielded two panel type. Dining room fireplace, re-located from first floor in late 20th century, with lugged timber surround, pulvinated frieze and dentilled cornice possibly c.1740. Staggered butt purlin roof with tapered tenons. Late 19th century forecourt railings on dwarf brick wall, cast iron columnar gate posts with finials and wrought iron gate with over- throw. Former "Free School" built by the parish for the education of 10 poor children in consequence of "Chapman's Charity" of 1718. Later known as the endowed school. Converted to schoolmasters house c.1875 when amalgamated with the nearby National School. Further Report of the Commissioners (County of Norfolk) History of Horstead and Stanninghall. P. Millican.
Information from (S1).
Former Coltishall Free School. 5 bays, 2 storeys and attics, brick, triangular and segmented headed dormers alternate.
(S2) dates as not later than 1690 and this would seem to be correct despite conservation area study's dating as 18th
Visited 26 July 1975 and 14 November 1982.
E. Rose (NAU)
There are in fact only three dormers, the central being segmented.
String course and central doorway.
This building is about 1660 to 70 rather than 18th century as suggested by C. Jeffreys (NCC).
Revisited E. Rose (NAU) 25 May 1983.
(S3) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 23 April 2007.
The school was built in 1764 and closed in around 1870 when it was used as the Board School master's house.
S. Howard (HES), 17 April 2012.
- FREE SCHOOL (18th Century to 19th Century - 1764 AD? to 1870 AD)
- HOUSE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1870 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 439. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1177847. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 118. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: 2007. Architectural plans.. 19 February. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: 2007. Photographs. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Document: Crouch, R.. 2011. Norfolk Rural Schools Survey Form. Coltishall Free School, Colby, Norfolk.. May. |
Related records - none
Find out more...