Record Details

NHER Number:42764
Type of record:Building
Name:The Old Chapel, Back Lane

Summary

A former late 19th century Methodist brick chapel. Its façade is in the gable end facing the street, and has two tall narrow windows flanking the arched door. Beneath each of the windows is a foundation stone laid in 1886, inscribed with the names of ministers and local worthies. The interior has reportedly been stripped, and this may be in advance of conversion work.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 91290 19366
Map Sheet:TF91NW
Parish:MILEHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Former Methodist Chapel (which subdivision of Methodism is not known)
Façade in gable wall facing street; red brick with horizontal skintlings; yellow brick rounded arches to two tall narrow windows flanking central door. Beneath each window a foundation stone laid in 1886 by Mr Mantripp, B Robinson Minister, and Mrs Mantripp, G Hughes Minister. Above door a defaced plaque that would have given the name of the chapel. Sawtooth cornice to base and sides of gable; central quatrefoil in gable. Side walls laid in Flemish bond with two windows similar to those of front, and similar cornice; sills of stone. Ornate cast iron rainwater hoppers. Rear elevation with small but tall pentise dying in below the gable. Various incised names that appear to be more than graffiti; possibly names of builders; but now illegible - one may be S BARRIER. Remains of ornate iron fence along road. Interior not seen but apparently stripped out.
It is unusual for bricks to still bear skintlings at so late a date.
(S1) does not of course show the chapel but it marks a large building to the west where 20th century bungalows now stand
See (S2) in file. (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 9 December 2005.

Monument Types

  • METHODIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1886 AD to 2050 AD)
  • NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1886 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. First edition six inch map.
<S2>Map: 2005. Architectural Plans.
<S3>Photograph: Rose, E.. 2005. LMZ. 20-21.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service