Record Details

NHER Number:38281
Type of record:Monument
Name:Possible post medieval ridge and furrow

Summary

Possible remains of ridge and furrow can be seen beside the River Glaven just to the southeast corner of the village of Wiveton. These features can be seen on aerial photographs taken in 1969 and 1994. Their date is not certain, but it seems likely they are of post medieval origin.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 04446 42565
Map Sheet:TG04SW
Parish:WIVETON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

March 2003. Norfolk NMP.
Possible remains of ridge and furrow can be seen beside the river Glaven just to the southeast corner of the village of Wiveton. These features can be seen on OS aerial photographs from 1994 (S1) and Hunting Survey aerial photographs from 1969 (S2). The date is not certain, but it seems likely to be post medieval due to its very straight and regular appearance. (Although it is also possible that it is the remains of some other more recent feature). This site is centred at NGR TG 0444 4252 and is approximately 225m x 160m (at the longest and widest parts).
This site may have a connection with the site NHER 27290, which is not classic ridge and furrow, instead exhibiting possible water meadow type features and is located a short distance to the north along the river. There is also the possibility of more areas in places along the river, though these are indistinct and so uncertain.
H. Clare (NMP) 15 May 2003.

Monument Types

  • RIDGE AND FURROW (Unknown date)
  • RIDGE AND FURROW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

<S1>Vertical Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1994. OS/94172 033-4 14-JUN-1994 (SMR).
<S2>Aerial Photograph: Hunting Surveys Ltd. 1969. HSL UK/69/949 0131-2 20-NOV-1969 (Norfolk SMR TG 0443D & TG 0343A).

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service