|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of medieval village of Houghton-on-the-Hill|
This is the site of the medieval village of Houghton-on-the-Hill which was gradually deserted over the course of the medieval period. The earthworks of a medieval hollow way and toft-like enclosures have survived on the site, and fragments of Late Saxon, medieval and post medieval pottery have been found during fieldwalking.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 867 052|
|Parish:||NORTH PICKENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Mentioned in Domesday, Nomina Villorum, 18 taxpayers 1329, 17 in 1332.
In long narrow north to south field at 8691 0541 1978 glazed and coarse medieval sherds and few post medieval sherds.
E. Rose (NAU).
1979 (reported 1986). Same field as context 1 above;
1 medieval unglazed sherd, context 2 at 8695 0537, close east end churchyard; 1 sherd Grimston-Thetford.
Identified by A. Rogerson (NAU) 7 August 1986.
AD 1352-54. Black Death relief not granted.
AD 1449. Tax relief 26% of 1334 assessment.
AD 1805. There are now only a farm or two, and a cottage or two in this village. Church united with North Pickenham in 1715.
Information from (S1).
R.J. Rickett (NAU) 16 August 1990.
17 April 1995. Casual fieldwalking by A. Rogerson (NLA) at Context 3:
1 flatish base Thetford-type.
1 body sherd with thumbed strip Thetford-type, part oxidised.
1 body sherd St Neots type.
1 bowl rim and 11 body sherds unglazed medieval.
4 body sherds glazed Grimston.
1 body sherd Late medieval/Trans.
1 sub-square/irregular sectioned hone, probably Norwegian Ragstone.
30 September 1995. Casual fieldwalking by B. Cushion (NLA) at context 4:
1 large base sherd of unglazed medieval.
1 large body sherd Glazed Grimston.
Identified by A. Rogerson (NLA) 3 October 1995. Finds NCM.
30 September 1995. Earthwork Survey.
Full survey at 1:1000 of earthworks north of church with report.
Hollow way with toft-like enclosure on both sides including evidence of recent occupation of one enclosure.
Pottery within grassland in report.
See report (S2) for plan and further details. This site was included in (S3) and the survey is also noted in (S4).
B. Cushion (NLA) October 1995.
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DITCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOLLOW WAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- RECTANGULAR ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOFT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WHETSTONE (Undated)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF8605 A-F,AM-AN,ABD-ABG, RAF TF 80/8605/A. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TF 8605ABX - ABY. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: CUCAP. 1956-1961. TF 8605ADB-ADF. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Pickenham (North). |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|<S1>||Archive: National Archaeological Record. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Report: Cushion, B. 1995. North Pickenham SMR4630 Houghton on the Hill. Earthwork Survey Report. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Cushion, B. and Davison, A. 2003. Earthworks of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 104. p 52. |
|<S4>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1996. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1995. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt III pp 397-412. p 404. |
|4625||Related to: St Mary's Church, Houghton-on-the-Hill (Building)|
Find out more...