|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Norman and Beard's Organ Factory|
The organ factory of Norman and Beard was built here in 1898. It was the most extensive and most advanced works of its date in Britain but lasted only until 1916 due to wartime lack of staff. Most of the buildings survive including a tall block used for casting metal pipes. The factory offices were demolished to build the inner ring road.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 22761 08010|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
1898 for Norman and Beard, organ makers. The most extensive and most advanced works of its date in Britain, but it lasted only until 1916 due to wartime lack of staff. Most of buildings survive including tall block used for casting metal pipes. The offices designed by Skipper (Norwich architect) were demolished to build the inner ring road.
Full description and history in (S1).
E. Rose (NLA) 21 December 2004.
- ORGAN FACTORY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Haines, C. 2004. Norman and Beard Ltd.. NIAS Journal. Vol 7, no 4, pp 61-76. |
|Mon 979||Parent of: 13-15 Pottergate (Monument)|
|Site 2589||Parent of: 9 St Stephen`s Road (Coachmakers public house) (Monument)|
|Site 1020||Parent of: 99 Chapelfield Road (Monument)|
Find out more...