|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||World War Two buildings and the site of a World War Two antenna array|
This is the site of a World War Two antenna array which included four masts and a complex of buildings. Some of the buildings survive but are derelict; at least one is used as a pig shed. The area where the masts stood is now an arable field. The complex was attached to Swanton Morley airfield (NHER 2830).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 00695 15941|
|Parish:||HOE, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Shown on (S1) as having four masts in a diamond pattern, one immediately adjacent to main building - waterfilled pit now on site of latter. Marked on (S2) as W T station. Confirmed by local people 2004 as having been attached to Swanton Morley airfield (NHER 2830). Ruined main building of brick; at south end a large room with A-frame roof, to north a corridor with small rooms to each side leads to room at north end. Small rooms contain benches, etc. with machinery, not known if this is original; building much altered for use as pig shed in 1980s. Outside door in east wall is L-shaped wall and traces of overgrown structures. Further east is a second brick building, one room, massive internal concrete buttress at centre of each side wall; roof is of later date. Whole site of buildings derelict and used as dump; area of masts under crop.
E. Rose (NLA), 26 November 2004.
- ANTENNA ARRAY (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 3G/TUD/UK 100 5066 30-Mar-1946. |
|<S2>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1953. Ordnance Survey 6 inch map. |
|2830||Related to: Swanton Morley Airfield (Monument)|
Find out more...