Record Details

NHER Number:40694
Type of record:Building
Name:The Bakery, 42 Upper Street


A late 17th century roughly rendered timber framed house with a steep tiled roof and a wedge-shaped dormer window.The original building was single storey with an external chimney stack to its north end. A northern extension was added in the late 18th or early 19th century, with a fireplace cut into the chimney stack. The south end was added as a bakery in the 19th century, and still retains its bread oven.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 14212 85616
Map Sheet:TM18NW

Full description

Timber framed house of late 17th century date, three cell lobby entrance, but end cell may be an addition to the original. Other end converted to a bakery in 19th century and retains large oven.
See report (S1) in file. (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 10 August 2004.

Monument Types

  • BAKERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2004. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service