|Type of record:||Building|
This building dates to the 18th and 19th century. It is built from brick and flint, with a hipped pantile roof. The central door is of 19th century date, and all the sash windows are of contemporary date. Inside, the kitchen has a massive bridging beam with ovolo and beak mouldings but no stops. This piece has clearly been reused, and may have come from the missing Hall (see NHER 12106 and 29601).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 19145 36851|
|Parish:||SUSTEAD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Late 18th and 19th century brick and flint, hipped pantile roof. South façade of three bays, two storeys built from brick. Central 19th century door. East façade of flint, three bays, two storeys now with central door. All windows 19th century sashes. Two axial chimneystacks.
As might be guessed from the above the building is L-shaped. All bricks have horizontal skintlings and the date is indeed around 1800. However in the kitchen is a massive bridging beam with ovolo and beak mouldings but no stops, which must be reused. The present slight joists join it at unaltered mortices suggesting the beam may extend up above the ceiling. The beam is probably another piece of evidence for the missing Hall (see NHER 12106, 29601).
(S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 16 July 2004.
- HOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1700 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 682. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
Related records - none
Find out more...