|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Medieval moated site with extraction pits, remains of the hamlet of Hardwick|
A probable medieval moated site with an internal structure, a series of probably medieval ditch and bank defined rectangular enclosures or platforms, and an undated series of irregular extraction pits are visible as earthworks and cropmarks on 1946 RAF and 1961 Meridian Airmaps vertical aerial photographs. These features were formerly recorded under NHER 3360.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 63629 18428|
|Parish:||NORTH RUNCTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Cropmark features previously recorded under NHER 3360.
Large area of cropmarks in vague grid plan on 1964 aerial photographs.
W.F. Milligan (NCM).
Cropmarks of old fields. Moat?
There may have been a chapel here in 1291 visitation, but this could on the other hand refer to Setchey.
See sketch plot in file.
Appropriate section from reference (S6) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 13 May 1983.
B. Cushion notes that the (S5) the moat has a possible outer enclosure, channel from north and possible second ditched enclosure. See plan in file for NHER 3360. This is away from the bypass.
E. Rose (NAU).
June 2003. NMP.
A group of earthwork features within the area of the medieval settlement of Hardwick, formerly within NHER 3360. Within the northern part of the site is a well defined cropmark of a moat (TF 6362 1866). The enclosure has an overall width of 53m, and encloses an area with a width of 38m (S5). There is a possible causeway within the north-western corner of the ditch circuit although this is not certain. There are parched areas along the northern, western and southern sides of the moat which may be the traces of bank and the interior of the moat also appears parched, and may have once been a raised platform (S5). Within the south-eastern quarter of the moat enclosure is a square structure (TF 6363 1865), possibly formed by banks or stone walls, with an overall width of 8m.
Two large linear ditches run northwards from the area of the moat. To the immediate south of the moat are two further rectangular enclosures, similar in size to the moat and share the same alignment (S5). They are likely to be contemporary with the moat. To the south of these are some linear ditches or drains and then a north to south line of four adjoining rectangular and square enclosed areas or platforms (S1). The northern most three enclosures are largely ditch-defined, with traces of an inner bank on their western sides. The southernmost enclosure (centre TF 6366 1822) appears to be bank-defined, with a less substantial ditch than those to the north.
There are possible sub-rounded mounds of material to the west and south of this enclosure. The interiors of the enclosures appear to be largely level, although it is not possible to determine whether they have been raised by additional material. There may have been buildings within the enclosures, although there is no trace of any structures on the aerial photographs (S1 to S4).
These enclosures and features are all likely to represent part of the medieval village or hamlet of Hardwick. The enclosures all appear to share a common north to south alignment and appear as a strip of settlement with an overall length of 700m.
Within the southern area of the site are a series of irregular mounds and depressions (S2) which may represent some form of extraction, possibly for clay. The features have a partial meandering pattern in plan, and they have followed the course of a former river channel. These features are poorly defined and have not been mapped.
M. Brennand (NMP) 23 June 2003.
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DITCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ENCLOSURE? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- EXTRACTIVE PIT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- LINEAR FEATURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOUND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PLATFORM? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STRUCTURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHAPEL? (13th Century - 1291 AD to 1291 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: Unit AP's TF6318A onwards inc St. Joseph BAT 84. |
|<S1>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: Meridian Airmaps Limited. 1961. MAL 61488 93839-40 26-JUL-1961. |
|<S2>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: CUCAP. 1970. NHER TF 6318U (CUCAP BEO20) 05-NOV-1970. |
|<S3>||Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1943. RAF AC/161/140 5002-3 04-JAN-1943. |
|<S4>||Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1948. RAF CPE/UK/2552 5076-7 27-MAR-1948. |
|<S5>||Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1427 4173-4 16-APR-1946 (NMR). |
|<S6>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 172; p 54. |
Related records - none
Find out more...