|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||World War Two spigot mortar emplacement, Old Market Green|
A World War Two spigot mortar emplacement.
|Grid Reference:||TM 36047 98720|
|Parish:||LODDON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Mortar spigot. Buried in bank on east side of hedgerow, now west verge of estate road.
Pintle part rusty part shiny. Reason for location obscure - during World War Two this would have been a boundary between a playing field and a small field behind the main street.
First notified by Loddon History Society to CBA.
E. Rose (NLA), 21 May 2004.
Site visited by C. Kolonko (HES), 12 May 2012. Concrete Pedestal partially buried in a hedgerow on Estate Road.
Placed to cover George Lane and the intersection in the village. Placed to ensure the Blacker Bombard Mortar operated at its most effective range of between 68 -182m.
C. Kolonko (HES), 14 May 2012.
Having consulted aerial photographs of Loddon from 1928 it is likely that this position would have covered the field to the East. This would have allowed the Spigot Mortar to attack an enemy trying to flank around the town. It is likely a second position would have been set up to cover the Roadblock in the centre of the town.
C. Kolonko (HES), 22 August 2012.
- SPIGOT MORTAR EMPLACEMENT (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources - none
Related records - none
Find out more...