|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Earthwork of unknown date|
A horseshoe-shaped ditched enclosure with internal bank of unknown date and function is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The site may represent the remains of a Bronze Age round barrow; it lies on the south-eastern edge of Roughton Heath, where numerous barrows of this date have been identified, and is more or less in alignment with a linear barrow cemetery less than 300m to its north-west (NHER 38632). It is also situated, however, within a World War Two training area (NHER 38619). Although the earthworks do not appear fresh on 1946 aerial photographs, the site could be a military installation, such as a large gun emplacement, dating to World War One or the early years of World War Two. Since 1946 the site appears to have been levelled.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2292 3743|
|Parish:||ROUGHTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
June 2004, Norfolk NMP.
A ditched enclosure with internal bank is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs (S1), centred at TG 2292 3743. It is situated roughly in alignment with, and less than 300m to the south-east of, a Bronze Age linear barrow cemetery (NHER 38632) and although it is larger and more sub-circular than these other barrows it could be an outlier to the cemetery. Alternatively, and perhaps more probably given its rather odd topographical location on the edge of a natural gully and the absence of a mound, it could be associated with 20th-century military activity in the area. Although the earthworks give the appearance of being earlier than most of the features associated with the World War Two training area surrounding the site (NHER 38619), morphologically they bear some resemblance to a large gun emplacement. If this latter interpretation is correct, the site may date to the early years of World War Two or perhaps even to World War One. Later aerial photographs indicate that the area has now been levelled by ploughing.
The ditched enclosure is horseshoe-shaped in plan and is open on its west side. It measures approximately 27.5m long and 27m wide. The asymmetrical internal bank is open on its north-west side where it is 18m wide.
S. Tremlett (NMP), 2nd June 2004.
- SUB CIRCULAR ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- GUN EMPLACEMENT (World War One to World War Two - 1914 AD to 1945 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1606 6145-7 27-JUN-1946 (NMR). |
Related records - none
Find out more...