|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Roman settlement site and multi-period finds|
A concentration of Roman pottery fragments collected from the mid 1990s onwards indicates a probable settlement site. A small number of prehistoric worked flints and sherds of medieval and post medieval pottery have also been found.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 04417 08551|
|Parish:||GARVESTONE, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Mid to late 1990s to January 2004. Surface collection.
Concentration of Roman sherds indicating the presence of a settlement site on the 55m contour, probably occupied during the 2nd and 3rd centuries AD.
The pottery assemblage includes:
472 greyware sherds including eighty-eight rims, jars and bowls. Very small proportion of micaceous fabrics. Some "Iceni rusticated" sherds (3.565kg)
20 samian sherds (+ scraps), all plain, Central Gaulish and Eastern Gaulish (129g)
11 oxidised sherds including flagons, coarse jars etc. (125g)
3 Spanish amphorae (173g)
2 grog tempered storage jar sherds, one with impressed dots and grooved decoratin
Other finds recovered include:
1?Mesolithic flint notched blade.
1 Late Neolithic flint scraper scraper.
1 undatable prehistoric flint flake.
30 medieval pottery sherds (25 unglazed and 5 Grimston, one with applied pellet and short groove decoration).
1 post-medieval pottery sherd (glazed red earthenware).
Flints identified by P. Robins (NCM) and other objects by A. Rogerson (NLA). See list and descriptions in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 3 February 2004. Amended by P. Watkins (HES)
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Mesolithic - 10000 BC? to 4001 BC?)
- FINDSPOT (Late Neolithic - 3000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FLAKE (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- NOTCHED BLADE (Mesolithic - 10000 BC? to 4001 BC?)
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Late Neolithic - 3000 BC? to 2351 BC)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
Related records - none
Find out more...