|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||The Old Vicarage|
This former vicarage has now been converted into flats. John Bunn constructed the building in 1836 using pebble flint and brick dressings and slates for the roof. It was designed in the Neo-Classical style and features a stringcourse, quoined windows and a shallow roof with projecting eaves and two end chimneystacks. It has been reported that human remains and weapons were found when the house was built, but the date of these finds was not ascertained.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 93631 40539|
|Parish:||WIGHTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Former vicarage now flats. 1836 by John Bunn.
Pebble flint, brick dressings. Slate roof. Neo-Classical rectangle. Façade to north, two storeys and six bays. Brick plinth, quoins, string course. 20th century porch. Quoined windows. East garden front of four bays, offcentre door. Hipped shallow roof with projecting eaves and two end chimneystacks to east front.
Details from (S1).
(S2) notes that when house was built 'a large quantity of human bones and old pikes were found, supposed to be derived from a battle between Saxons and Danes.' However note the number of Roman sites in area.
E. Rose (NLA) 17 April 2004.
- HOUSE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1836 AD to 2100 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Unknown date)
- PIKE (Unknown date)
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 725. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049451. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Holmes, Rev. J.E.. 1985. All Saints Church, Wighton.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...