|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of a post medieval pumping station, Downham Fen Drain|
A pumping station, constructed in 1851 with a pumping beam engine, possibly on the site of an earlier engine. The pumping station was demolished in the 1950s.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 5996 0518|
|Parish:||DOWNHAM WEST, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Pumping beam engine installed 1851, possibly on the site of a set of 'Hall's Patent hydraulic belts' of 1840 about which nothing is known except that it did not work. In 1900 a new Gwynne pump was installed and in 1913 the chimney was lowered. In 1931 a Crossley oil engine was installed; building demolished at some date after 1951.
Benchmark shown on GIS is presumably reset from the engine house.
E. Rose (NLA), 8 December 2003.
- PUMPING STATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Hinde, K.. 2002. Pumping Stations of the Norfolk Fens.. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Journal. Vol 7, no 2, p 16-17. pp 16-17. |
Related records - none
Find out more...