Record Details

NHER Number:40079
Type of record:Building
Name:University of East Anglia (original buildings)

Summary

Four parts of the original university buildings are listed and these comprise the Suffolk Terrace, Norfolk Terrace, library and teaching wall. The buildings were constructed in 1964-68 with the library being elaborated on in 1972. The Suffolk and Norfolk Terraces, known as the Ziggurats, derive from Sant'Elia and Marcel Breuer under the influence of Louis Kahn. They were listed as Britain's first and most successful expression of a university as a small city rather than a dispersed campus.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 19262 07508
Map Sheet:TG10NE
Parish:EARLHAM, NORWICH, NORFOLK
NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

Listed in four sections; Suffolk Terrace and Norfolk Terrace each Grade II* (including connecting walkways). Teaching wall and Library are Grade II 1964-1968, and library phase II 1972. Architects Denys Lasdun and Partners. Teaching wall completed by Feilden and Mawson, who completed the library with David Luckhurst.
Concrete cross wall construction with panels precast on site. Suffolk and Norfolk Terraces, known as the Ziggurats, derive from Sant'Elia and Marcel Breuer under the influence of Louis Kahn. For full analysis and detail see list description (S1). Listed as Britain's first and most successful expression of a university as a small city rather than a dispersed campus, and for its international influence via Team Ten.
E. Rose (NLA) 28 October 2003.

Also see (S2).

May 2013. Planning Application.
Removal and partial replacement of glazed balustrades, removal of existing visitor reception desk and relocation of visitor shop and new reception to the main gallery conservatory area.
See (S3) For further details.
A. Miller-Fik (HES), 22 May 2013.

Monument Types

  • LIBRARY (Cold War - 1945 AD to 1992 AD)
  • UNIVERSITY (Cold War - 1945 AD to 1992 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Unpublished document: Hoggett, R. and Williamson, T.. 2006. Forgotten Heritage: the landscape history of the Norwich suburbs - a pilot study..
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S2>Unpublished document: Heywood, S.. Historic building recording at the University of East Anglia, Norwich, Norfolk..
<S3>Unpublished document: 2012. Planning application.. May 2013.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service