|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's Church, Stradsett|
One of the earliest parts of St Mary's Church is the tall and thin west tower in the Early English style, with later 15th century Perpendicular tracery. The nave doorway also dates to the 13th century, and the north and south doorways have raised surrounds inside suggesting that the walls have been significantly rebuilt or altered.
The remainder of the church is largely 19th century, the exception being the fine east window which is in the original Perpendicular style and dates to the 15th century. Perhaps the greatest treasure here is the stained glass contained within it, which is thought to date to 1540 and was brought from Ausburg in Germany. It depicts the Adoration of the Magi, and was donated to the church by Thomas Bagge of Stradsett Hall. Monuments to the Bagges, who have lived in Stradsett Hall since the 18th century, can also be seen here.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6681 0568|
|Parish:||STRADSETT, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
St Mary's Church.
West tower, nave and chancel in one. Tower, and chancel east buttresses, of stone and carrstone with some ironbound conglomerate, but rest of building rendered over. Tower is 13th century, Early English unbuttressed, with lancets and stone-edged putlog holes; the belfry openings appear to be 15th century Perpendicular tracery added to existing Early English shafts. Nave doorway 13th century with headstops. Both north and south doorways have raised surrounds inside, suggesting the walls have been altered or rebuilt. Priest's doorway of same date. Remainder of
church much restored in 19th century, but windows imitate 13th century style perhaps more or less accurately. Exception is east window, fine Perpendicular 15th century. South porch 19th century, as is church roof and
north vestry. East window contains good stained glass, South German of 1540, also some in west window. Brass 1418 (not seen). Good 19th century altar rail. Several early 19th century books on window sill are full of insects. Old commandment board.
Plate (according to (S1) paten 1568 chalice, altered (S1) records a rare gold communion service - where now? (S2) records an earlier south porch). Most gravestones in yard have been removed to the boundary.
E. Rose (NLA), 6 August 1980.
- CHURCH (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD? to 2050 AD)
- STAINED GLASS (WINDOW) (Post Medieval to Modern - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Serial: Pevsner, N.. The Buildings of England.. |
|<S2>||Map: Bryant. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|<S3>||Publication: Martin, T.. Church Notes. |
Related records - none
Find out more...