|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Former Angel Inn, The Street|
A row of three timber framed cottages now converted into one building with an early 20th century exterior. The two end cottages probably date to the late 16th or 17th centuries. The central cottage appears to have an unusual first floor corridor that may date back to the 15th century. The three cottages were converted into a pub in about 1900 but was closed in 2003.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 19700 92700|
|Parish:||LONG STRATTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Public house. Exterior of about 1900 conceals three timber framed buildings. Two of these are probably two storey houses with end stacks, about 1600. The centre building however seems to have an integral framed first floor corridor and may be as early as the 15th century.
See (S1) in file. The observations made at this are also summarised in (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 31 October 2003.
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- PUBLIC HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1050279. |
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2003. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. 2004. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 2003. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt III pp 573-588. p 580. |
Related records - none
Find out more...