Record Details

NHER Number:39775
Type of record:Building
Name:Waterhall Barn or Bridge Cottage Barn

Summary

This barn is built from red brick with a pantile roof. It has three steads with a cart porch along with various ventilation holes. A datestone and inscribed bricks indicate that it was built in 1790, probably for the Earl of Leicester. Inside, a fallen beam has carpenter's marks.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 94250 39537
Map Sheet:TF93NW
Parish:WIGHTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Late 18th or early 19th century barn of red brick with pantile roof. Three stead with cart porch. Four ventilation holes, three blocked, one with honeycomb. Two upper level openings above platband. Dentilled cornice. Tumbled parapet gables.
Details from (S1).
E. Rose (NLA) 13 October 2003.

May 2004. APS Building recording/assessment of Grade II listed former threshing barn.
Datestone and inscribed bricks indicate built 1790, probably for the Earl of Leicester. Originally fitted with 'chequerboard' ventilation windows but only two of original six survive. A fallen beam has carpenter's marks.
See (S2).
J. Allen (NLA) 8 June 2007.

May 2004.
Barn is no more than a shell with half of the roof missing. All the bricks have horizontal skintlings, i.e after 1770.
E. Rose (NLA) 11 May 2004.

October 2011. Planning Application.
Conversion of barn to residential dwelling.
See (S3).
Z. Dack (HES), 21 November 2011.

Monument Types

  • BARN (Post Medieval to Modern - 1790 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S2>Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. 2005. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk in 2004. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt IV pp 751-763. p 763.

Related records

MNO9150Related to: Barn behind Bridge Cottages High Street WIGHTON (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service