|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St George's Church, Great Yarmouth|
St George's church was built in 1714 by John Price of Wandsworth. The ground plan imitates that of St Clement Danes and develops the characteristic double exedrae by having at both ends of the building. At St Clement Wren used them out of necessity in order to fit the resricted site. The steeple is based on St James' Garlickhythe, London. After the church closed the pulpit and pews were moved to St Peter's. The pulpit and tester are now in use at St Nicholas'. The building has once been restored as a theatre and in 2010 about to be repaired and fully restored as a theatre. The plaster vaults which created the interna l space are not being rebuilt at this stage. Medieval and post medieval pottery fragments in Great Yarmouth Museum were labelled St George's church.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 5261 0734|
|Parish:||GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
St George's Chapel
1714 by John Price of Wandsworth. Ground plan imitates St Clement Danes. Corinthian style. Pulpit and pews removed to St Peter's when church derelict. Now restored as concert hall. Stone from demolished west transept of St Nicholas's used.
In GYM is box of sherds marked St George's Church; lead glazed ware and post medieval sherds. Formerly marked as NHER 4283 by mistake by W. Milligan (NCM).
E. Rose (NAU), November 1982.
See (S1) for full details.
(S2) states that the plan and galleries do indeed follow St Clement Danes as the original contract specified, despite the fact that the famous architect Sir Reginald Blomfield disputed this. However the steeple is based on St James Garlickhythe, London, and the west end is in the style of Vanbrugh. The plate of the church in (S2), taken in the days when church was in use, shows a hatchment which is not mentioned in the text. Where is it now?
E. Rose (NLA), 6 November 2004.
The chapel was consecrated in 1715 and completed circa 1721. It became officially redundant as a place of worship in 1971 and was converted into a theatre in 1972/3.St. George's chapel is of considerable size, and is almost as broad as it is long. The most distinctive aspect of the plan is the double exedrae at each end of the nave. Externally, the building is of brick with rubbed arches of a finer quality of brick. The ordinary brick has vitrified ends, used to decorative effect on the parapets. The windows have depressed three-centred arches to the ground floor. Limestone has been used for the plinth and the openings in the exedrae. Stone is also used for the giant order pilasters supporting open pediments at the entrance end and the east end. The east window and gallery columns are of the Corinthian order, whilst all other columns are Roman Doric. This was to emphasize the chancel. The nave is divided into four bays by giant order pilasters with a section of entablature with triglyth. The corners of the nave have alternating brick and ashlar rusticated quoins. The west end has a pair of stone-dressed pedimented doorways with raised keystones. The tower is of brick, and has an inserted first floor which cuts across a west window. The clock is likely of 18th century date. A sundial used to be fixed to the parapet on the south-west exedra. It is now stored in the building. The brick part of the tower finishes with a balustrade, and timber tiers are supported on double columns. The bell is housed at the top of the lower tier which is supported on Tuscan columns. A facetted cupola on an open octagon is above this, which in turn supports a tiny lantern surmounted by a lead covered ball. An iron bar carrying the weather vane and four outline iron shapes depicting wild dogs or dragons would have emerged from this, but has been removed. Internally, the nave is barrel -vaulted with groin- vaulted galleries. The columns at gallery level are Roman Doric, with the exception of those leading to the chancel, which are of the Corinthian order. The gallery fronts have raised and fielded panelling. The organ was housed at the west end of the gallery. The staircases to the gallery are accommodated within the western exedrae and have open strings to the inside with shaped tread ends, panelled dados and three balustres per tread. The doorway leading from the nave to the tower porch has an elegant segmental fanlight and probably belongs to an alteration of the 1790's. The pulpit, reredos, font, organ and pews were removed following the redundancy of the church. A pair of carved niches flanking the last bay at gallery level survive, and served as seats close to the pulpit.
In order to build the chapel, a mound of earth built in 1569 was levelled in 1714. In 1940 a bomb shelter was excavated beneath the square to the south of the chapel.
See (S3) for details.
H. White (NLA), 6 October 2009.
Article 1980, missing from file [J. Yates, 2 December 2010].
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1980. Beetle damage. 28 August. |
|---||Publication: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology, 51. Microfiche 5:G12. p 79. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1999. TG 5207ACS. |
|---||Publication: Summers. Hatchments of England. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. Beetles steal the show. 9 December. |
|---||Photograph: RCHM. 1959. Great Yarmouth, Church of St George. Pl. LXXIII andf Pl. LXXIV. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. St. George's alive and well. 18 November. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. Work begins to breathe life into chapel. 12 November. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1980. Major step for St. George's. 28 August. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2011. Completion of repairs marks a milestone. 5 October. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. 'Find of national importance' made during work at chapel. 2 February. |
|---||Article in serial: Quiney, A. 1980. St George's Church, Yarmouth. Archaeological Journal. Vol 137 p 309. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. First phase of £8.5m plan agreed. 2 October. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S2>||Publication: Whiffen, M.. 1948. Stuart and Early Georgian Churches. p 27. |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: Heywood, S.. 2009. S. Heywood Report. An Architectural History of the Chapel of St George, King Street, Great Yarmouth.. |
|MNO4856||Related to: St George's Theatre St George's Plain (east side) GREAT YARMOUTH (Revoked)|
Find out more...