Record Details

NHER Number:4328
Type of record:Monument
Name:South Star Battery

Summary

The South Star Battery was built in 1782. A magazine for storing gunpowder was added in 1793. The battery was restored and reconstructed several times and was still in use in 1914. By this date it was being used as a barracks. The site is now under Harbord Crescent east of Battery Road. There is some confusion in the records with NHER 4327.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 530 059
Map Sheet:TG50NW
Parish:GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK

Full description

South Star Battery.
Built 1782, magazine added 1793, refurbished 1795; dilapidated 1811, restocked with 32 pounders 1819, reconstructed on original lines some time before 1829; guns dismounted 1836 and removed 'a long time' before 1851. Site corrected to position under Harbord Crescent east of Battery Road, as shown in (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 10 May 1985.

1858 battery rebuilt and refortified.
See (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 6 August 1986.

Reconstructed again 1898 and resurveyed in 1907. Still in use in 1914.
See (S3).
E. Rose (NAU), 2 June 1987.

For detailed plans of site with later barracks etc see (S4).

(S5) shows a 'bulwark' of 1539 immediately adjacent to this fort.
E. Rose (NLA), 5 November 1998.

Monument Types

  • BATTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Evans, J. and Britton, J. 1810. Topographical delinations of Monmouthshire, Norfolk and Northamptonshire. The Beauties of England and Wales. Vol 11.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Yarmouth (Great).
<S1>Article in serial: 1985. Yarmouth Archaeology. Vol 2, no 2, p 28.
<S2>Article in serial: 1986. Yarmouth Archaeology. Vol 2, no 3, p 90.
<S3>Article in serial: 1987. Yarmouth Archaeology. Vol 2, no 4, p 133.
<S4>Article in serial: Rye, G.. 1988. Great Yarmouth Fortifications 1914-1988.. Yarmouth Archaeology. Vol 3, pp 43-6.
<S5>Publication: Kent, P. 1988. Fortifications of East Anglia. p 196.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2017 Norfolk Historic Environment Service