Record Details

NHER Number:4317
Type of record:Building
Name:Medieval priory cell and post medieval Quaker meeting house


A Quaker meeting house of 1807, retaining many original features and adjoining burial ground. It stands on the site of a medieval Augustinian Priory cell, founded in 1339. A cellar, originally the ground floor of the cell, and four 15th century window embrasures survive, together with other fragments of medieval stonework.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 5233 0754
Map Sheet:TG50NW

Full description

22 January 1980. Visit.
Quaker Meeting House and remains of Augustinian Priory Cell. Meeting House of 1807 with original fittings; arch from cell and cellar with probable window and door openings, and tree stumps. (S1) and (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NAU).

April 2009.
Proposal to replace existing flat lead roof with lean to pantiled roof that covers lobby and w.c.
See (S3) and (S4).
H. White (NLA), 29 April 2009

A cell of the Augustinian Priory of Gorleston was incorporated into a much later building. This building was then converted into a Friend's Meeting House. The present building incorporates the south wall and the left jamb and a portion of arch of a doorway from the medieval Priory cell. However, apart from these features, most of the building is from the 19th century and has large sash windows, rendered walls and a slate roof. The interior is divided into two rooms. The larger room is to the north, while there is a gallery above the south room.
To the east of the building is a burial ground, although there are no visible monuments.
Information from (S5).
M Langham-Lopez (HES), 15 October 2012.

Monument Types

  • CELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1800 AD to 2100 AD)
  • NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (18th Century to 21st Century - 1800 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A.. 1995. TG5207/ABM,ABS,ABT.
---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 501.
---Monograph: Palmer, C.J.. 1872. The Perlustration of Great Yarmouth: with Charleston and Southtown.. Vol I. pp 323-325.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Yarmouth (Great).
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NAU). 1980. Site report.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1953. Ancient vaults are inspected at Yarmouth. 24 July.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Peter Codling Architects. 2009. Design and Access Statement. Friends Meeting House, Howard Street, Great Yarmouth.
<S4>Designation: Listed Building Consent.
<S5>Monograph: Stell, C.. 2002. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Eastern England. p 243.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service