|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Parchmark of medieval road|
A medieval road or track visible as a linear parchmark and an undated pit visible as an earthwork on 1969 Hunting Survey vertical aerial photographs.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 89205 42515|
|Parish:||HOLKHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
June 2002. Norfolk NMP.
The feature is aligned in an approximate east to west direction, actually visible in four separate fragments, although almost certainly all one feature originally (S1). The feature is visible for a total length of 730m, and has a width of 7 to 10m. This is almost certainly the remains of the medieval road from Holkham to Wighton, as depicted on Clerks map of 1590 (S2), and removed during the 18th century emparkment.
The eastern half of what appears to be a circular pit is visible on the eastern edge of Tubbins Wood (good name for a wood in a boys adventure) to the immediate south of the road. The pit has a potential diameter of 25m, and appears to grassed within its interior, and not freshly excavated in 1969 (S1). This could be natural or anthropogenic and date from any period, although it is suggested that it is modern, as if it were older it is likely to have been filled in during the park landscaping.
M. Brennand (NMP), 18 June 2002.
- PIT? (Unknown date)
- ROAD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Aerial Photograph: Hunting Surveys Ltd. 1969. HSL UK 69949 0149 20-NOV-1969 (SMR TF 8843A). |
|<S2>||Monograph: Williamson, T.. 1998. Archaeology of the Landscape Park: Garden Design in Norfolk, England, c. 1680-1840.. BAR (British Series). Vol 286. |
Related records - none
Find out more...