|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Greyfriars, Middlegate Street|
This is the site of Greyfriars Franciscan Friary, which was founded in 1271, and dissolved in 1538. The only upstanding remains of the Friary are a section of the south wall of the church, and the western alley of the cloister. A doorway in the wall of the church leads to a small excavated room containing mid 14th century wall tombs. The cloister has been dated to the 14th century, and is elaborately vaulted, with traces of medieval wall paintings. During the late 16th century the Friary was leased out, and the part of the precinct was used for training the Train Bands, a civilian militia. The site was developed piecemeal from the 17th century, sometimes incorporating parts of the medieval buildings. In 1896 substantial remains of the priory church was found buried underneath Queen Street.
|Grid Reference:||TG 5240 0733|
|Parish:||GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
Covered cloisters of Franciscan Friary.
Founded by Sir William Gorbrigge, damaged in World War Two.
See (S1) to (S3).
R. R. Clarke (NCM)
Church was to north across Queen Street.
Built between 1260 to 1300.
Monastery of Greyfriars founded in the early 13th century.
Remains scanty but include part of only vaulted Franciscan cloister remaining in England.
R. R. Clarke (NCM)
(S5) notes 'corner of a cloister remains by Fountain Tavern'.
Possibly this site.
E. Rose (NAU)
Work carried out by J. K. Knight for M.P.B.W. revealed the western wall of the western range beneath post-medieval alterations.
Information from (S8).
M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 20 May 2013.
1996. Analysis of remaining upstanding walls revealed that west end of church had been extended, and cloister was one bay shorter north to south than previously thought. Some later domestic changes.
Work by Norfolk Archaeological Unit for English Heritage who presumably hold the report in archive.
E. Rose (NAU) 29 July 1998.
(S7) in file. Schedule enlarged 1998.
See the new description for full history including post dissolution use for Trained Bands and as residences, and full description; account of walls found under Queen Street in 1896.
Stone coffin on display.
No.9 Queen Street is listed Grade II, see (S7), as a 17th century house completely encased in the 19th century. It has a 17th century door in cellar, a blocked mullioned window and a first floor ovolo moulded beam. This stands on the site of the church.
E. Rose (NLA) 23 March 1999.
- CRYPT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FRIARY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CELLAR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FRIARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WALL PAINTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- Listed Building
- Scheduled Monument
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 1997. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1996. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt IV pp 547-564. p 552. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. A few days to discover some of the secrets of Norfolk's heritage. 7 September. |
|---||Article in serial: Coad, V. 1980. Greyfriars' Monastery. Archaeological Journal. Vol 137 pp 308-309. |
|---||Article in serial: Bately, J. and Olley, H. 1898. Recent Discoveries on the Site of the Grey Friars, Great Yarmouth. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XIII pp 21-32. |
|---||(No record type): Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Yarmouth (Great) . |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Palmer's History and Perlustrations of Great Yarmouth.. |
|<S2>||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805-1810. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Unknown - USE SPECIFIC VOLUME WHERE KNOWN. |
|<S4>||Publication: Harlech, A.M.. 1955. Regional Guide East Anglia and Midlands. p.27. |
|<S5>||Publication: Martin, T.. c.1740. Church Notes. |
|<S6>||Article in serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1996. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1995. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt III pp 397-412. |
|<S7>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S8>||Article in serial: Wilson, D. M. and Hurst, D. G. 1966. Medieval Britain in 1964. Medieval Archaeology. Vol IX (for 1965) pp 170-220. p181. |
Related records - none
Find out more...