|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St John the Evangelist's Church, Norwich|
The date ouf foundation of the church of St John the Evangelist is uncertain, though by AD 1300 the church had alreadly been annexed to the parish of St Peter Parmentergate. The church was purchased by the Greyfriars, sometime between 1226 and 1539, who demolished the church and converted a small section into an anchorage for the friary.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 234 084|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
A rectory, appropriated to the Cathedral Priory.
St John the Evangelist, King Street.
Founded about around 1300 AD it was annexed to the parish of St Peter Parmentergate. It was then purchased by the Greyfriars and demolished. A small part was converted into an anchorage for the friary.
A. Rogerson (NLA) notes: this must be incorrect. Sandred mentions references to this as 'a place where there was a church' in the mid 13th century. 1300 must be the date it was taken over by St Peter's.
E. Rose (NLA), 21 May 1997.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FRIARY (Medieval - 1226 AD to 1539 AD)
- HERMITAGE (Medieval - 1226 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished document: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich. |
|<S1>||Article in serial: Andrews, P. 1993. St. George's Nunnery, Thetford. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLI Pt IV pp 427-440. pp 427 ff. |
|373||Part of: Greyfriars' Precinct, Norwich (Monument)|
Find out more...