|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Kerrison Road Malthouse|
Kerrison Road Malthouse was a purpose built floor maltings, immediately northeast of Norwich City Football Ground, and was scheduled for demolition in advance of construction of the new south stand, hotel, car park and other amenities. As a result a full building description was drawn up in 2004.
The building itself bears a datestone of 1824, and was constructed of red bricks laid in English bond. The overall plan was of a long germination room, two furnaces/kiln towers and the maltster's cottage at the west end, which was of a separate build though could still be contemporary with the main building. Production came to an end by the time the building was converted into the Carrow Club house between 1907 and 1911, and had recently fallen into disuse, occasionally used to store equipment for the stadium.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 24173 07832|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
April 2002. Building Survey.
Initial survey of malthouse building and associated cottage immediately northeast of Norwich City Football Ground. These buildings were scheduled for demolition in advance of construction of the new south stand, hotel, car park and other amenities. Work undertaken as part of archaeological evaluation for Norwich City Football Club.
See report within (S1) for further details.
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 2 June 2015.
April 2003. Building Survey.
Further building survey of former malthouse building including photographic survey and survey of previously unaccessible areas.
A stone plaque on the east wall had the inscription C.B./1824.
The overall plan had a long germination room, two furnaces/kiln towers and the maltster's cottage at the west end. The building was constructed of red bricks laid in English bond and there were two tiers of windows in the long side walls.
The malthouse was a surviving but altered example of a 19th century purpose built floor maltings. The ground floor would have been a germinating floor, which would have been likely to hold the steeping cistern(s), though no direct evidence for their position was found. The first floor of the building had been completely removed. It was probably a second growing floor as the loft there was used for storage. Little evidence for machinery relating to the use of the malthouse was found. A small belt shaft in the attic shows that some mechinisation tookplace, probably in the late 19th to early 20th centuries. There is no evidence for what power source was used.
Production came to an end and the building became Carrow Club house (between 1907 and 1911). At this time the brick butresses were proabably added, as well as additional buildings on the north-western and north-eastern sides. The cottage is a separate build to the rest of the structure, though it may be contemporary.
See report (S2) for further details (including information on the initial survey). The results of this work are also summarised in (S3).
The associated archive has been deposited with the Norwich Castle Museum (NWHCM : 2016.197).
J. Allen (NLA), 12 June 2003 and Ruth Fillery-Travis (NLA), 13th March 2007. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 2 June 2015 and 21 June 2019.
- (Former Type) MALT HOUSE (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1823 AD to 1907 AD)
- HOUSE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1824 AD? to 2003 AD?)
- CLUBHOUSE (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1907 AD to 2003 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Adams, D. 2003. An Archaeological Evaluation and Building Survey at Norwich City Football Club, Carrow Road, Norwich. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 791. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Underdown, S. and Smith, R. 2003. Building Survey and Photographic Record of the Former Malthouse, Kerrison Road, Norwich. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 822. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. 2004. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 2003. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt III pp 573-588. p 583. |
Related records - none
Find out more...