|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||The Old Rectory, Stratton St Mary|
A timber-framed Wealden house that dates back to the 15th century. The house has a medieval crown-post roof suggesting that this was a prestigious house in the medieval period. The house was extended to the east by the rector Thomas Carver in the 17th century. His alterations included joining the previously detached kitchen to the main house. The house was further altered in the 18th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 19541 92325|
|Parish:||LONG STRATTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Listed as a Georgian building.
(S1) indicates this is a 15th century Wealden house, extended in the 17th century and recoated in the 18th.
See full survey in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 28 January 2002.
A documentary reference noted in (S1) states that the rectory was built in 1637 by the rector Thomas Carver. The house has a crown post roof, with an off-centre crown post that is characteristic of Wealden houses. The quality of the roof suggests that this was a prestigious medieval house. The medieval house was extended to the east by Thomas Carver in the 17th century. This extension joined the previously detached kitchen to the main house, and the dairy range is also probably of this date.
See (S1) for more detailed information.
S. Spooner (NLA), 8 May 2006
- HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- WEALDEN HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Brown, M. and Brown, S.. Norfolk Historic Buildings Group Building Report. |
Related records - none
Find out more...