|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Late Saxon/early medieval industrial site, 50-54 Westwick Street|
Archaeological evaluations in 2002 showed that the the entire site had been used for industrial activity in the Late Saxon and medieval period before being redeveloped in the 16th century. Saxon structures related to iron working probably lay close to the river marshes and part of a possible medieval tanning pit was found in a trench dug close to the river. This shows an exploitation of a riverine location at during these periods.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 22666 08908|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
September 2002. NAU evaluation. Contexts 1-203. At site of former tyre depot.
Work revealed that the entire site had been used for industrial activity in the Late Saxon and medieval period before being redeveloped in the 16th century.
See report (S1).
See also (S2).
J. Allen (NLA) 2 January 2003.
- HEARTH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- IRON WORKING SITE (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- LEAT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- PIT (Late Saxon to Medieval - 851 AD to 1539 AD)
- POST HOLE (Late Saxon to Medieval - 851 AD to 1539 AD)
- TANNERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FISH REMAINS (Undated)
- PLANT MACRO REMAINS (Undated)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
- POT (Late Saxon to Post Medieval - 851 AD to 1900 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- OYSTER SHELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SHOE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: KJF. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Penn, K.. 2002. NAU Report No. 785. An archaeological evaluation at 50-54 Westwick Street.. |
|<S2>||Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2003. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk, 2002. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt II pp 368-384. p 378. |
|Mon 1368||Parent of: Lower Westwick Street (north side, west of Coslany Street to 22632/08905 ) (Monument)|
|Mon 1227||Parent of: River Wensum (Monument)|
|Mon 1171||Part of: Lower Westwick Street (Monument)|
|Site 981||Part of: St. Benedict's Street to Westwick Street (Monument)|
Find out more...