Record Details

NHER Number:37142
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Lower or Green Farm


The site of a farmstead consisting of a 17th century and later farmhouse, an early 19th century barn and a 19th century stable. All the buildings were demolished in about 2003.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 4058 1829
Map Sheet:TG41NW

Full description

House with ornate mid 17th century parlour block probably added to an older house that was replaced in about 1700 and heightened in 19th century.
Barn 1830s, encapsulates one truss of medieval timber framed barn; plinth partly of granite.
Stable, 19th century, intact fittings for heavy horses.
Building Protection Order applied for.
See (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 29 May 2002.

Application for listing refused.
E. Rose (NLA), 11 October 2002.

All buildings demolished at some date after 2003.
[1]. In (S2) the author suggests that the whole building dates from around 1780 with outshut added in about 1850; the moulded ceiling he suggests is a 19th century copy [2] fitting the existing house and inserted in about 1930 from a demolished country house. [3]. (S2) and (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 13 September 2005.

Monument Types

  • TIMBER FRAMED BARN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • FARM (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 2002. Building Report..
<S2>Unpublished document: Wilson, Dr. W.D.. 2003. Archaeological Record of Lower Green Farm, Fritton Road, Ludham, Norfolk.
<S3>Unpublished document: Ward, A. ,Dr.. 2002. English Heritage Inspector's Advice Print.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service