Record Details

NHER Number:37062
Type of record:Monument
Name:Medieval rabbit warren, Tottington

Summary

A field survey carried out between 2000 and 2002 noted earthwork banks relating to parish boundaries and rabbit warrens. Between 2008 and 2009 a field survey undertaken by the Breckland Society also recorded the northern boundary of the medieval rabbit warren

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 8728 9736
Map Sheet:TL89NE
Parish:HILBOROUGH, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK
TOTTINGTON, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

2000-2002. Woodland Earthwork Rapid Identification Survey.
Redan Covert etc. Management Unit L2, Site 133:
Parish and warren boundary banks.
See report (S1) for further details.
D. Gurney (NLA), 12 March 2002. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 12 May 2015.

2008-2009. Breckland warrens field survey.
The earliest date for the warren is 1404 when the warren was owned by John Fitz-Rauf. A bank still marks the northern extent of the warren. The lodges named Robin's Lodge on the 1905 ordnance survey map is omitted from Faden's 1797 map. The Ministry of Defence are the current landowner.
See (S2-3).
S. Howard (NLA), 13 May 2010.

Monument Types

  • PARISH BOUNDARY (Unknown date)
  • LODGE (15th Century to 19th Century - 1404 AD? to 1900 AD)
  • RABBIT WARREN (15th Century to 19th Century - 1404 AD? to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Contractor Report: Cushion, B. 2002. STANTA ILMP Woodland Earthwork Rapid Identification Survey. Brian Cushion Archaeological & Cartographical Surveyor.
<S3>Unpublished Report: The Breckland Society. 2010. The Warrens of Breckland: A survey by The Breckland Society..
<S3>Website: The Breckland Society. 2008. The Breckland Society Warrens Project.. http://www.brecsoc.org.uk/projects/warrens-project/.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service