Record Details

NHER Number:26585
Type of record:Monument
Name:Old School, The Glasshouse and Saxon features, 11 to 13 Wensum Street

Summary

Building recording showed that the Old School retains most of its features and architectural style as originally built in 1890, that the ground and first floors of The Glasshouse are a rebuild, forming a partially timbered, jettied structure of 17th century date, with a 15th century basement. Evaluation revealed a building, undated but possibly Middle Saxon, and Late Saxon and later floors and pits.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2327 0896
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

April to December 2001. Building survey.
Externally, the Old School retains most of its features and architectural style as originally built in 1890 to the design of the architect George J. Skipper.
The Glasshouse is a three-storey building with a basement. The L-shaped basement is 15th century and has several barrel-vaulted extensions. The original superstructure above the basement was probably destroyed in the Norwich fire of 1507, though it is possible that the street front hall survived at least in part. The ground and first floors are a rebuilt, forming a partially timbered, jettied structure of 17th century date, set around a small courtyard.
18th century alterations include increasing the height of the building to three storeys.
In the late 19th or early 20th century the ground floor street façade was turned into a shop frontage.
See (S1).
J. Allen (NLA), 11 March 2007.

July to August 2001. Archaeological Project Services evaluation. Contexts 1-217.
Revealed a building, undated but possibly Middle Saxon, and other floors and pits from Late Saxon onwards.
Well preserved waterlogged deposits.
See report (S2) in file.
See also (S4).
D. Gurney (NLA), 5 October 2001.

2005. Building Recording of the Grade II listed buildings and an adjacent former schoolhouse.
The recording describes the main complex as C17, raised in the C18 and with a C15 undercroft. Examination of the main complex revealed that the undercroft had barrel-vaulted extensions and blocked or disused former entries and stairways. Although it has been previously claimed that the original superstructure above the basement was destroyed in the Norwich fire of 1507, the recording suggests that the street front hall had survived at least in part. However, most of the ground and first floors were a rebuild, forming a partially-timbered, jettied structure of C17 date, set around a small courtyard. Alterations made in the C18 including insertion of windows and doors and increasing the height of the building by the addition of another storey. Recording of the old school revealed it to be a two-cell brick structure that had survived with minimal changes since it was designed and built in 1890 by local architect George J. Skipper.
See (S3).
D. Holburn (HES), 26 September 2011.

Monument Types

  • BUILDING (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
  • BUILDING (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • PIT (Late Saxon to Medieval - 851 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POST HOLE (Late Saxon to Medieval - 851 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BUILDING (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD to 2050 AD)
  • BASEMENT (Medieval to Modern - 1400 AD to 2050 AD)
  • COURTYARD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SHOP (Post Medieval to Cold War - 1850 AD to 1950 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
  • POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER DOG (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WHETSTONE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Unpublished document: Taylor, G.. 2005. Archaeological Project Services Report No. 113/05. Building Survey of the Old School and the Glasshouse, 11-13 Wensum Street, Norwich, Norfolk..
<S2>Unpublished document: Taylor, G.. 2001. Archaeological Project Services Report No. 117/01. Archaeological Evaluation at 11-13 Wensum Street, Norwich, Norfolk..
<S3>Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. 2006. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk in 2005. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLV Pt I pp 124-136. p 132.
<S4>Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2002. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk, 2001. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt I pp 162-177. p 173.

Related records

26255Part of: 11 Wensum Street (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service