Record Details

NHER Number:4001
Type of record:Building
Name:2 Surrey Street and adjoining cottages

Summary

This terrace of early 19th century cottages includes a late 18th century public house known as the Olde Black Horse. The 19th century cottages are known to have been constructed using clay instead of mortar, with complete branches in the walls.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 5964 1413
Map Sheet:TF51SE
Parish:WIGGENHALL ST GERMANS, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Terrace of early 19th century cottages now restored and listed (S1).
Construction included clay used in place of mortar and complete branches in walls.
Cuttings (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NAU).

17 May 1976. Visit.
Brick cottages, some plastered, end one now cement rendered. Pantile roofs. One formerly an inn. Large chimneystacks. Roof levels vary.
E. Rose (NAU).

June 2012. Visit.
A detailed examination of this building revealed that the eastern part of the house is an addition. This building dates from the 17th century, and upstairs a rare surviving upper cruck is visible.
See (S3) for further information.
A. Cattermole (HES), 11 October 2012.

See also NHER 58136.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1660 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • INN (17th Century to 21st Century - 1660 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: N.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. 2012. Ye Olde Black Horse, No. 2 Surrey Street, Wiggenhall St Germans.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1304588.
<S2>Newspaper Article: The Times. 1975. [Article on the sale and restoration of a cottage in Wiggenhall St Germans]. 15 May.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service