Record Details

NHER Number:399
Type of record:Building
Name:Site of St Bartholomew's Church, Norwich

Summary

St Bartholomew's Church was built in the 15th century of flint and brick with some stone dressing. Part of the church was demolished in 1549 during the dissolution, but the walls remained incorporated into warehouses, until the Norwich Corporation began clearing the area in 1939. In 1942 the site was also hit by enemy bombs, and all that now remains is the stump of the tower, the bells of which were transferred to St John de Sepulchre (NHER 573).

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 23354 07972
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

Remains of St Bartholomew's Church.

Remains of church tower. 15th century. Flint and brick with some stone dressings. Ber Street north side. Part of church demolished at dissolution (1549) but walls remain. Church founded ? The advowson belonged to the prior of Wymondham and the church was desecrated in 1549. Two bells were transferred to St John de Sepulchre (NHER 573).
Only part of the west end now survives. The rest was demolished by enemy action in 1942. The remains were completely hidden from the street, and partly encased, by 18th/19th century buildings. The nave was 51ft long x 16ft 6in wide (15.5m x 4.8m). The chancel was the same width as the nave and was 15ft 6in (4.7m) long. The west tower was 14ft 6in x 13ft (4.4m x 4.0m). A south porch was pulled down sometime after the early 18th century.
The roof was collar-braced.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No N4; p 175.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 59.
---Record Card: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman.
---Website: Knott, S.. 2005. St Bartholomew, Norwich. http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/norwichbartholomew/norwichbartholomew.htm. 24 November 2006.
<S2>Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1932. The City Churches of Norwich. p 43.
<S3>Article in Serial: Messent, C. 1932. The Churches of St. Bartholomew, Ber Street, Norwich. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXIV Pt III pp 239-243.

Related records

7Parent of: Early medieval pit, pottery sherds and medieval human remains (Monument)
Site 2634Parent of: Remains of the church of St Bartholemew (Monument)
Mon 529Parent of: St Bartholemews Churchyard, Ber Street (Monument)
Mon 709Parent of: St Bartholomews Church, Ber Street (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service