Record Details

NHER Number:35554
Type of record:Monument
Name:World War Two anti-aircraft battery

Summary

A World War Two anti-aircraft battery and two possible spigot mortar emplacements are visible on RAF aerial photographs from 1946.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0725 4262
Map Sheet:TG04SE
Parish:SALTHOUSE, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

1946. RAF air photography.

3 April 1969. Ordnance Survey air photography.
Earthworks.
Sub-rectangular enclosure.
Probably World War Two military activity, guns, searchlights?
D. Voisey (NAU), 31 January 1996.

October 2002. Norfolk NMP.
Earthworks and structures of World War Two Anti-Aircraft Battery visible on RAF aerial photographs from 1946 (S1 and 2). The four gun emplacements are located around a rectangular structure at TG 0725 4260, the command post building. The structure is two celled and measures 12m by 4m, with a rectangular annex to the north-west, 4m by 3m. The walls of the command post seem a little uneven, so it is possible that it is not built of concrete, possibly an earthwork construction, although this seems unlikely. The northern gun emplacement is located at TG 0726 4264 and is roughly 11m square. The interior may possibly have a concrete base laid, although it may be light coloured subsurface showing through. No internal structure is visible on the June 1946 aerial photographs (S1), however in the July aerial photographs (S2) one is clearly present. The central structure measures 5.5m by 2.5m at its widest. This appears to be a light anti-aircraft gun, which suggests the gun emplacements continuing in use for post-war training, possible in associated with Weybourne Camp to the east (NHER 11335).
Another gun emplacement is located at TG 0728 4261, again it is roughly square, measuring 9m by 9.5m. The entrance is to the north-west, with an extended bank to the north. This emplacement also has an internal structure or gun, measuring 3m by 2.5m, within it on the July 1946 aerial photographs (S2). The third emplacement is located at TG 0730 4258. It is rectangular and measures 11m by 9m with the entrance to the west. This too has a structure, 3.5m by 2m, in the later aerial photographs. The fourth gun emplacement is at TG 0726 4255, which is 10.5m square and with an entrance to the north. Again a structure or gun measuring 3m by 2.5m is visible on the July images (S2). All of these gun emplacements are linked by a tear-drop shaped system of tracks, centred on the command post, leading from the main road at TG 0718 4268.
Two smaller circular earthworks are visible at two locations, at TG 0720 4256 and TG 0727 4268. Both features consist of circular depressions 2.5m in diameter, surrounded by a bank 0.5-1m wide. The purpose of these earthworks is not clear from the aerial photographs, although it possible that they are spigot mortar emplacements.
There are around twenty individual gun emplacements on heath and it seems unlikely that all of these positions were in contemporary use. The large numbers and varying states of construction of these gun emplacements would seem to imply that many of these may have been built as part of military training exercises, rather than for normal air defence. This is also indicated by the fact that the gun emplacements are devoid of internal structures or guns in June 1946 (S1) and yet are occupied in July 1946 (S2), suggesting that training is continuing post war.
S. Massey (NMP), 16 April 2003.

Monument Types

  • ANTI AIRCRAFT BATTERY (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • COMMAND POST (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • GUN EMPLACEMENT (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • SPIGOT MORTAR EMPLACEMENT (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • STRUCTURE (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. OS 69-037-023.
---Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF TG 0743A.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1606 4170-1 27-JUN-1946 (NMR).
<S2>Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1636 4418-9 09-JUL-1946 (NMR).

Related records

32481Related to: World War Two anti-tank cubes (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service