Record Details

NHER Number:35434
Type of record:Building
Name:Site of Royal Observer Corps underground post

Summary

A Royal Observer Corps underground post existed here between 1960-68. In 1968 it was demolished at the request of the landowner but the Orlit B post was left intact.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 4799 1415
Map Sheet:TF41SE
Parish:WEST WALTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

July 1960-October 1968.
Demolished at farmer's request, but Orlit B remains, at request of same farmer.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NLA) July 2000.

Monument Types

  • ORLIT POST (Mid 20th Century to Late 20th Century - 1960 AD to 1968 AD)
  • ROYAL OBSERVER CORPS MONITORING POST (Mid 20th Century to Late 20th Century - 1960 AD to 1968 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Article in Serial: Catford, N.. 1999. Royal Observer Corps Underground Posts in Norfolk.. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Journal. Vol 6, no 4, pp 59-70. pp 59ff.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service