Record Details

NHER Number:35428
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Cold War Royal Observer corps post

Summary

This is the site of a Royal observer corps post, which was established in January 1959 and closed in October 1968. It has been almost totally demolished, although some concrete posts remain.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 5793 1279
Map Sheet:TF51SE
Parish:WIGGENHALL ST GERMANS, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Royal observer corps post.
Totally demolished, only some concrete fence posts remain.
Established January 1959, closed October 1968. See (S1).
E. Rose (NLA), July 2000.

Monument Types

  • ROYAL OBSERVER CORPS MONITORING POST (Cold War - 1959 AD to 1968 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Article in serial: Catford, N.. 1999. Royal Observer Corps Underground Posts in Norfolk.. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Journal. Vol 6, no 4, pp 59-70. pp 59ff.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service